Register   |  Login
Safety Committee - 1st Meeting 08/08/2012 Minimize
First Local 107 Safety Committee Meeting, held on Aug 8, 2012 at GNO

Attendees: Jim Talbot, Dave Fippinger, Ed Quaid (at GNO); Grant Gibbons, Brad Tarry (by phone)

Meeting convened at 6:00PM

1. Jim:
- Reiterated purpose and scope of Safety Committee. Voice of Union, think tank, proactive in having input to company policy/SOP making, follow-up on company safety reporting system.
- Earlier goal of having a Safety Rep at each base will neither be achieved nor is it necessary, 5 members will suffice.
- Any member of SC can be an initial point of contact for pilots to express a safety concern, which will in turn be discussed within the SC and presented to the company as the Union’s position.
- Discussed company writing policies without field input, for example, requirement to offload pax for offshore refuelling, and measures SC can take to discourage the practice.
- Discussed topic of CRM with respect to S-76 night/IFR T/O procedures, problems associated with having one-size-fits-all CRM for differing cockpit configurations. Will call Keith Quigley to discuss need to revisit issue and find out status of standardization committee, i.e., if and when it will reconvene, who will be on it, etc.

2. Brad:
- Discussed various issues Training Dept has dealt with with respect to company policy making, the lack of an effective Safety Dept, lack of communications with bases, etc.
- Wants to see more hazard reports written by pilots using the company system. SC should devise a system to track them and ensure follow-up by company.
- Will devise a simple Union safety form a pilot can fill out and turn in to SC for follow-up on regular company reporting system
- Needs to be better system for distributing OPS manual and other changes at various bases. No briefing given pilots on KSA/(CRM)/(ADM) cards, just dumped on table with “take one” being only guidance.
- Pointed out inconsistency in Ops Manual regarding minimum altitudes pilots are required to maintain, specifically, Section 3.1 which acknowledges the need to fly at 250’ when the ceiling is 300’, while Section 6.3 B1. prohibits flight below 300’ without DO, DFO or CP approval.

3. Grant:
- Suggested that company hazard reports be routed through SC, which would act as filter in forwarding them to company. After discussion, it was decided that this would not be acceptable to company, rather SC act to ensure follow up instead.
- Expressed concern about lack of reliable Wx reporting offshore, base managers not issuing IOO’s when needed. Suggested pilots have a greater role in initiating IOO’s.
- Discussed need for method of passing technical info on aircraft, knowledge and tips from experienced pilots to junior pilots, especially those fresh out of new hire training. After considering the merits of putting out such info at Sunday safety meetings it was decided that the best way to do this is through articles routinely published in Union NOTAM’s and, when appropriate, mass emailings and NOTAM’s.

4. Dave:
- Initiated discussion of previously mentioned simplified safety reporting form for SC follow-up of company reporting system.
- Discussed problem of grass clippings in aircraft eng/transmission deck and engine intakes, and effect upon safety and maintenance costs resulting from early engine changes, etc.
- The WSI weather reporting system is wanting, i.e., it is not user friendly to pilots. Additionally, the company computers are old and slow, will often lock up. This sometimes results in incorrect depiction of actual Wx offshore. More pilots are relying on their own sources such as the Foreflight app for and iPhone and iPad.
- Rationale for WSI is fact that it provides Wx overlay on flight following screens. Why not keep it for Flight Following, but have another, more user-friendly system for pilot use?
- Discussion of failure of ARA maint to install inner bearing races on 2MRB on A/C 865 during refurb, later discovered in field at ICY. Accountability? Briefing to pilots on this incident? Jim will follow up on this.

5. Ed:
- Briefed committee on incident in VEN in which a large stone was picked up by mower blade and slung toward Erik Nymoen’s aircraft while he was loading passengers. Will obtain photo of the stone and attach it to safety report to company, to be followed up on by SC.
- Further discussion of grass clipping problem, and fact that grass clippings were found inside a gearbox casing of an aircraft. What measures, if any, to address this problem?

Further discussions:
- Importance of using company safety reporting system requires emphasis to pilots.
- It is not necessary for SC to track every routine safety report, such as those generated when maintenance action results in a customer delay. Issue resolved when maintenance is done.
- Follow-up is necessary when a safety issue needs to be dealt with at company level, such as rock thrown by mower incident. Discussed idea of rapid action follow up by SC, say,within 24, 48 or 72 hrs on issues requiring immediate action, and a longer interval for safety issues of a routine nature.
- Reiteration of vital importance of pilots writing up what they see wrong in the field, as this is the only way to ensure it is brought to the company’s attention. The SC will assist as needed.

Meeting adjourned at 7:25.